November 28, 2014, 12:13:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic Brakes on my 2000 Coleman Utah  (Read 1533 times)
opbaldwins
Wheel Chocker

« on: July 16, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »

Thanks so much for the assistance I have received on here.  As a rookie, it's great support.   I had a hitch installed on my van to tow the camper and had initially told them I had the electronic brakes.  My assumption had been that they installed what I needed for them to work.   I just had to have the connection fixed as a result of a little parking "incident", the installer upgraded my hitch attachment so that if I "ever needed to" add for electronic brakes I could.   Now I'm told I need an Electronic Brake Controller installed.  My question is, "Do all electronic brake systems need an Electronic Brake Controller installed in the tow vehicle?"  If so, I'm fine and I'll just chalk it up to ignorance on my part and a partial job from my friends at U-Haul, but I just want to make sure I'm getting good information.   

If I do need the Electronic Brake Controller, are there any other recommendations you can share in terms of how to familiarize myself with using it and setting it correctly?  Thanks so much again for the support.   I'm really looking forward to our first trip next month.

Mike
MICamper
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »

All electric brakes need a controller as it is the device that actually controls power to the electric trailer brakes; and these do not come with a vehicle from the factory.  I personally use a Tekonsha Prodigy, which I find very easy to use.  I would recommend it.

TV: 2008 Expedition
PUP: 2009 Starcraft Centennial 3612
Blk69
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »

You need to becareful in that for a 4 wire and 6/7 wire plug (Ele brakes) the green and brown wires are switched (right turn signal and general lighting.  This is not an issue if having done, but if doing yourself you will need to switch these two wires on the plug.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: