April 22, 2014, 11:51:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Storage Trunk Lid Replacement  (Read 4974 times)
rogerw
Handle Cranker

« on: April 07, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »

The trunk lid is falling apart. I am sure there are small leaks. Small pieces cracked and missing from where one of the side latch is.

I am thinking about going one of two routes:

1. Order a replacement thru dealer. I believe however I have to order the top storage trunk assembly and not just the lid itself. This could be costly.

2. Replace the lid only (since this is the only issue) with marine grade plywood (1/2 inch). This will be far cheaper. Measure, cut and apply rubber seals. But the piano type hinge has an interesting angle to it, I am not sure this will be simple. I can use a different type of hinge I suppose if it become too much work.

The advantage of #2 is that I then have a surface on which I can put bike mounts. I think the total cost will be far cheaper than buying some bike mount on the A-frame etc..

Thoughts and experience to share?

Thanks!

PopUp Blue  Pickup Red
2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2009 Honda Pilot
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 CrewMax
onecolumbyte
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »

Just rebuilt my front storage box and have some thoughts. You can check out my "1998 Colemane Storage Trunk Rebuild" thread for pictures and my expierence.

Re: 1 - This would obvoisly fit so that's good. Replacing the top trunk of the assembly is a big job, and it's really hard to get those panels to fit again. This would be a tough row to hoe.

Re: 2 - I think replacement is your best bet, but that hinge is a NIGHTMARE. On my '98 I am virtually certain that the hinge cannot be removed without taking the eniter top assembly off, and see number one for my thougths on that. On mine you can't really access the screws unless the door is open very far, and they had nuts on the bottom that were inaccessible while installed. I think that the only way to remove the door and leave the trunk intact is destructive demolition. Then you would need some manner of reinstallation.

I would stongly advise against attaching ANYTHING to the storage trunk panels. A new plywood lid itself may be strong enough to support bikes, but will the attachement point to the camper be strong? I think not. It's all 1/8 plastic panels.

I don't want to discourage repair, because leaking is the number 1 enemy or pop-ups. But it will be a big job, be prepared.

As for cost, it cost me $550+ and at least 40 man hours in the garage to rebuild my trunk. And I repaired and reused all my body panels. Consider that when considering the cost of replacement parts.
adamsdg
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »

If it's just the lid, you could do what I did.
.063 Aluminum sheet.

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=71059.0
rogerw
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »

adamsdg:

If it's just the lid, you could do what I did.
.063 Aluminum sheet.

Wow, that lid is a beauty. How you handle the hinge? Put two bolts thru the existing hinge?
Mind to share some pictures of the hinge and underside of the lid?

The latches goes on without needing reinforcement?
I was thinking using marine grade plywood because I can just screw on the latches and wood is easier to work with. I don't have any special tools to bend metal. Your lid looks professionally done!

Roger.

PopUp Blue  Pickup Red
2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2009 Honda Pilot
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 CrewMax
adamsdg
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »

The lid was bent by a local boat fabrication shop, and he welded the corners.
I added the extra hold down clamps, and only used a couple nuts in the existing hinge.

onecolumbyte
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »

I'd agree that lid is a beauty.
I think you proved that leaving the hinge attached is the best method.
Could you elaborate on the actual size that you thought would be best, you implied that your lid is a little to big...
adamsdg
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:23:19 AM »

I had him bend it with 1/8' radius, but it should have been 3/8 or more.  I used a piece  "28" x 88" then had 1" bent down on 4 sides...this is the maximum....I should have used at least 1" smaller outside dimensions.

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=71059.0
mtfamilyof6
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »

I don't know how similar they are but I had a friend fabricate a replacement lid out of fiberglass for our old 2000 Mesa.  The trailer was totaled in a freak accident but I salvaged the lid - along with lots of other parts.  If it would work and we could figure out  a way to get it from Montana to you, you are welcome to it.

1998 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L 4X4
2004 Coleman Mesa
Patrickp
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »

Adam, I recently broke some of the ABS on the place where the left front hinge/clasp assists in locking the cover.  It would appear I need to replace the lid.  I anticipate doing what you did.  I m not handy. I would probably take it to a boat place like you did. What was ballpark cost?  And, I don't know if it is just my ignorance, but the whole discussion of the hinge still is not clear to me.  Did you post a picture of the open door anywhere showing how the lid attached?  Maybe I am more the visual type?  Thank you.
Patrick
josh0511
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:36:08 AM »

I called an RV dealership yesterday and they told me they might not be able to find me another one.  I feel like my whole assembly needs to be replaced.  Has anyone ever purchased one of these as an aftermarket part?  I loved the aluminum lid I just don't know if I could get anyone to do it for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: