July 30, 2014, 05:05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1978 Venture Pop Up  (Read 2071 times)
Druids
Wheel Chocker

« on: September 10, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »

We just bought a 1978 Venture Popup from a friend who bought it (and never used it).  We hooked it up to our buick and some of the outside lights were on; some were off so we figured...bulbs.  We went and bought bulbs.  Then noticed that the break lights went OFF when you push on the breaks and on when you let off so he checked the wires on the round black thing you plug into the Buick.  One blue wire was not connected so we bought a new connector and he hooked all of the wires back in.  He said this was color coded so idiot proof! lol Once my husband replaced that stuff and plugged them and plugged everything back in only the left tail light will light up!  Help?  Any ideas? Thank you, Jess.  

Jess and Mike - Wish we were camping! LOL
thebakers
Back-er-in-er

S.E. Michigan (Macomb County)

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »

Welcome to PUX. that round black thing is called a Bargman connector. Ensure that the wiring on the connector matches those of your PUP and TV (Buick). After that check for corroded or disconnected ground wires both on the Bargman and the camper.

Remove the light housings and ensure that the white ground wires are connect to a good metal ground and that they are not corroded. If they are a bit rusty, clean them up a little, replace them and try again.

Hope this helps!  Mike

Me posting (Mike) & DW (Eileen)
6 (adult) kiddos & 1 adorable grandkiddo
Fraser & Niles (pups) and Taz (feline Daddy's boy)
1990 StarCraft Starliner

Nights Camping 2011: 23 and counting
Druids
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »

Thank you.  Should we worry about the Bargman connector since we're getting power to at least one of the tail lights and just focus on the ground wires?   My husband has a tester that show if power is going through and he said it's reading that it's putting the power through.  He can't figure out why they were on and then boom now they aren't. lol  Thanks again.

Druids
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:39 PM »

Ok possible new development.  There are 6 wires on our trailer connector and my husband says there are only 4 wires going into the connector on our vehicle. Huh? LOL Total newbie...if you couldn't already tell.

thebakers
Back-er-in-er

S.E. Michigan (Macomb County)

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »

LOL - I've owned my Starcraft for two years now and I'm still a NUBE; and always will be. Here is a typical wiring setup at the Bargman; note that your wiring colors/functions may be slightly different.

White = Terminal Ground
Red = left turn signal
Black = battery
Yellow = extra auxiliary circuit
Green = Right turn signal
Blue = electric brakes

I would suspect that the 4 wires coming from the PUP are white, yellow, brown, and green. I'm assuming that you don't have a battery or electric brakes (correct me if I'm wrong) so the 4 wires from the PUP to the TV would make sense.

Here is a wiring schematic that our resident Starcraft expert Todd (austinado16) posted awhile back; this should help

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:22:15 PM by thebakers » Logged

Me posting (Mike) & DW (Eileen)
6 (adult) kiddos & 1 adorable grandkiddo
Fraser & Niles (pups) and Taz (feline Daddy's boy)
1990 StarCraft Starliner

Nights Camping 2011: 23 and counting
Druids
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

We don't have a battery inside the camper.  We have a power control switch that flips from battery to Auxiliary with a little white push button and one little breaker box with one whole switch in there.  We assumed that was used for if you added a battery but we're really not sure.  I know I cleaned the thing top to bottom and there is not a battery in it! lol   It only has one axle and when I asked my husband (Mike) if it had breaks he said he didn't think so but there is a blue wire so now i'm wondering if I should crawl under the thing and check for myself! lol  Could it have the blue wire and not have breaks?  The friend we bought it from only had it about four months and decided to buy something he could drive instead so he can't offer any assistance at all. lol  I did find out we have a 7 post on the camper and the Buick regardless of the wires going into them.

I appreciate all your advice and time!  You're a well of information and I wrote all the information about the colored wires down for Mike and I'll give it to him when he gets home.  I think we'll work on it some more tomorrow.

Druids
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »

OK LOL we have no yellow spot on the pin and no yellow wire....we do have an orange one?  Also, there isn't a color defined to the center pin so I'm not sure what color would go there.  The white ground has a white spot so that's where that one is.  We don't have breaks so he's left the blue wire disconnected; not sure why we have a blue wire if we don't have breaks.  Thanks for all your help again! lol

austinado16
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »

The Buick should have modern wiring colors:

White: ground
Brown: running lights
Green: right turn/brake
yellow: left turn/brake

For continuity, here's the wiring schematic I did:
On your modern 7 pin:
White = ground..........................goes to the camper white
Yellow = left turn.......................goes to the camper red
Green = right turn.......................goes to the camper brown
brown = running lights.................goes to the camper green
black = 12v charging line.............goes to the camper black
blue = electric trailer brakes.........goes to the camper blue
red = auxilary power typically used for reverse lights by being connected to your TV's reverse lights so it can power the reverse lights, if fitted, on the camper.....goes to camper yellow

Does the Buick have the round 7pin bargman on the hitch?  With just the above 4 wires going to it?  Or does the buick have a flat 4 and you guys are using an adaptor to mate with the 7pin round that's on the camper's harness.

When you describe what you have, and what's going on, try to be very methodical and specific.  That will avoid confusion, and get you accurate help, much faster.

I'm guessing that the mechanic that installed the new 7pin round Bargman connector onto the camper's harness, put the camper's wires into the wrong locations.

What you'll want to do is pop the camper's 7pin connector apart, and then one at a time, install the camper's wires onto the correct pins.  Start with the white ground wire, and make sure it's going to line up with the same pin on the buick that has the white ground wire.  Once you have the ground wire hooked up, you only have 3 more wires to deal with.  Easy.

So you'll want to do the camper running lights next.  That's the brown wire on the buick.  Turn on the buick's parking lights.  One at a time, take each camper wire, and touch it to that brown wire location.  When you find the wire on the camper that causes the running lights, including the tail lights to light up, complete that connection.  Once done, if you have some bulbs that don't light, go to those locations and clean the bulb sockets (with the buick's lights turned off) by scraping the contact areas clean and shiny.  Then retest with the lights on.  If some lights still don't work, check for bad connections where the camper's wires connect to the lights.  Repair and retest.

Once you have all the running lights functioning, repeat the process for the right turn signal. Once it's working, do the left turn signal. 

Finally, check that the brake lights work.

Report back if you need more help.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:37:40 PM by austinado16 » Logged
Druids
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »

Thank you both: Mike and austinado16!  I'm very auto stupid so sorry if I didn't give you the right info in order to help me.  He got all the lights working and yes whatever moron did the tow package on the Buick had everything all messed up and he had to do everything backwards basically!  Thank you both for all your help!  We're one step closer to actually staying the night somewhere! YAY!  Jess

austinado16
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »

Good job getting it fixed.

Your next purchase:  Some wheel chocks and a BAL Light Trailer Leveler

Wheel Chocks:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200310617_200310617

BAL Leveler:
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=18058&SID=15&DID=45&CID=167
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: