September 18, 2014, 01:37:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving pup unattended  (Read 16408 times)
luvourjayco
Back-er-in-er

Niagara Falls, ON

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »

The only thing we have had stolen was a blueberry pie we left in a Styrofoam cooler outside our tent.  We watched the little devil slide the pie ever so gently out of the package and he sat there and ate the whole thing.  That masked bandit   Cool!!!  Next time we remembered to put the cooler in the van. It was our boo boo.  In all our years of camping in tents/pop up and now 5th wheel that is the only thing we have ever had taken in a campground!

2000 Jayco Designer

pulled by a 1999 Dodge  Pickup Blue 2500
MatthewinGA
Handle Cranker

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »

I was actually thinking about a wheel boot of some kind.  Or maybe I'll just rely on State Farm to protect it.  For what we're paying to insure it, they should!

They won't "protect it." They will indemnify. Be sure to know what your policy covers. There are different coverages. You could have replacement value (give you a check to buy another similar PU, new or used same value) or "ACV" (actual cash value) which might be the blue book value less deprecation. You also might have coverage for some or all of the items inside if stolen. Damage from theft or loss due to theft. You could also have some trip continuation/interuption coverage (hotel, travel, food, towing).

Just know that anything you want to be covered for they can add into your policy for a premium.

Check with your agent and understand what you have and what can void your claim.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:00:31 PM by MatthewinGA » Logged

The mountains are calling, I must go.

Back to tenting-
Ford Explorer Sport
HighLifeGuy
Back-er-in-er

Independence, Missouri

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »

When I look over my pop up I see some very clever engineering everywhere... just some amazing stuff. And then I see the lock on the door and the velcro less than an inch from it. The lock on the door still amuses me. Smiley

Matt('75) BEER!       Vicki('78) Beer      
DS('01)                 
Tatum (Australian cattle dog mix)
'09 Jayco 1207    '99 Suburban  PopUp Blue SUV Grey
Click for Kansas City International, Missouri Forecast" border="0" height="40" width="467
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »

I use the same system as in my driveway since we're frequently off-site. Coupler lock, latch lock, and cable lock through rim and springs. Nothing is infallible but the more you can slow a thief down, the less likely you'll get hit. And sawing through locks should look a bit out of the ordinary for anyone around.

As to smaller valuables, we have a locking front truck which is at least something.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:05:18 PM by ghacker » Logged

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »

When I look over my pop up I see some very clever engineering everywhere... just some amazing stuff. And then I see the lock on the door and the velcro less than an inch from it. The lock on the door still amuses me. Smiley
Ya....... but it still pays to lock the door when you're not around. Our camping group lost a child one time. Found the child asleep in someone else's empty trailer after about an hour of terror for most of the CG......

When we had a canvas PU, we used to slip our hand inside to lock the door. The locked door may just keep out the honest thief but the stupid thief (the most common) will still use a prybar to pry the door open if it's locked.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
ScoobyDoo
Parking Heckler

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 05:03:09 AM »

I was at a friends, we decided his little trailer was in the way. He said "just a sec, we can move it" He went in the house I grabed the tounge and pulled. When he came out with a can of lugnuts and wrench I was looking stupid at a trailer on the ground. A thief would sure turn his a$$ to that one...

Me-49(year not age)
Her-53(me to)
FD Sadie-8
FD SiSi-5
FD Maggie-5
FS-Luke-18 Went to the campground in the sky on 7/20/09 while camping
'05 Ram 1500
'96 Starcraft
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »

Luvourjayco, too funny!  I bet the little beastie enjoyed every lip-smacking bite, too!

MatthewinGA, thanks for the tips.  We're well covered.  We have coverage on the trailer contents through our homeowners policy too.

I know any lock can be defeated.  My goal would be just to make it more difficult for someone to attempt theft in hopes they'd move on to something easier.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
NorthernCamper
Handle Cranker

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »

I was actually thinking about a wheel boot of some kind.  Or maybe I'll just rely on State Farm to protect it.  For what we're paying to insure it, they should!

I use the Fulton Trailer Keeper Lock which is a wheel boot:

http://www.fultonperformance.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=1301&catID=9250&part=0

miataman
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

@ Rae:  Oh, I forgot you are in the Aliner club, now!  Big difference, I bet.  ;)
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »

Yeah, I know I need to change my avatar but don't have a good pic yet.  Besides, I love that pic of Sally sitting in front of the Absaroka mountains in Wyoming.

I'm looking at coupler locks now and what I'm finding seems like they all use the same keys.  Why bother? 

K9Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »

We "lock" the pup door when we leave camp, and like others, have never had a problem.  One funny thing about the TT is that an extremely large number of TT's (all brands) have the same storage lock keys.  The irony is that you can access the inside of our TT through several of the outdoor storage compartments.  It is just as vulnerable to theft from the inside as our pup... just slightly more difficult to access, though certainly not impossible or unreasonably difficult. 

Sometimes, not "always," the goal is to appear secure.  Easy targets are most certainly hit first.  If it means driving away with a trailer, it may mean the one that is easiest to prep for departure or the one in the bunch without a lock.  Thefts are generally crimes of opportunity.  If you appear easy, you are the next victim.  ie: older women are much more likely to be victims of purse snatching crimes due to their perceived "weakness" and the small likelihood that they will fight back. 

The strong guy at the bar may be the biggest sissy in the world, but not many people are willing to land a jab on his nose to find out!   
beemerphile1
Parking Heckler

NE Ohio

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:02 AM »

Be aware that trailer wheel locks (boots) are not much value unless they cover the lugs.  All a thief has to do is remove the locked wheel and install the spare before towing away.

Tim
19 nights camped in 2014
30 nights camped in 2013
33 nights camped in 2012
36 nights camped in 2011

Momma said; "If you argue with a fool, it makes it hard to tell which one is the fool".

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L towing 2009 Aliner Sport  Chalet/AlinerCar Blue
1998 Ford E150 towing 2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900 TravTrl Long Blue Van Blue
1996 BMW R1100GS
2005 Trek Madone
1994 Burley tandem
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 05:52:43 AM »

Good point about the spare. 

We're aware the baggage doors are often keyed alike.  We had a good laugh at that at the rally last month when some friends of ours walked up with the keys for the doors on their big TT and opened our bag doors right up.  I think some of our cargo doors could be burglar entry points, too.  We're planning to put combination locks on ours for security and convenience. 

K9Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »

Be aware that trailer wheel locks (boots) are not much value unless they cover the lugs.  All a thief has to do is remove the locked wheel and install the spare before towing away.

A keyed lug on each side would solve that potential problem. 

Thieves are lazy.  If you come across one willing to change your tires before he drives off, let me know!

I wonder if RV thefts are all the prevalent?  I've never heard of one reported in my years of LE.
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 07:25:37 AM »

But are the keyed lugs equipped with standard keys?  Or locks that are easily picked?  That's the problem we're having in finding a tongue lock.  What's the point of putting on a lock that can be picked in five seconds with a flat screwdriver?  And since so many people know about the small pool of keys, a lot of thieves know it too.

Some people on these boards have had their pop ups stolen.

Because we like to camp in the off seasons, it's not at all unusual for our trailer to be the only one in a campground with nobody around.  It could look like a target to anyone driving through, and a thief could have hours to figure out how to take it.  We don't lose sleep over it, but don't want to serve it up on a platter to some low-life either.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:27:43 AM by Spirit Deer » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: